Tuesday, March 1, 2011

a few of my favorite things.

Today I was going to work on my homework for my online class. Then, I decided I'd rather not do that. And then I checked the school website and the homework wasn't even posted yet! The world doesn't want me to do my homework today! I really like when these things happen. In fact, I tend to like most things, but I do have some favorite things. And since I know you were just sitting around thinking "I wonder what Julie's favorite things are," I've decided to share some of them with you.


1) I love to decorate cd's (yeah, I know you're probably supposed to capitalize "CD" but I think it looks cuter in lowercase letters. Deal with it). As in color on burned cd's with Sharpies. And I must say, I'm getting pretty good at it. Today, I burned a Band of Horses cd and you should see the horse I drew on it. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't really good. It's running across the bottom of the cd. With the band name and albums written around the middle and outside edges. It's beautiful. And backwards in this picture. I don't know how to change that.
Look at that horse! I mean, just look at it!
I'm going to decorate The Weepies later tonight. I'm thinking some little birds holding up the letters of the album name with their beaks. So, please do not disturb me between the times of 9 and 9:30pm, for I will be coloring. Thanks.


2) I love going to visit my grandparents. And since I don't have class or any other responsibilities on Mondays, I've started using that day as my Owensville Visit Day every once in a while. This week in Owensville, I arrived Sunday night, just in time to make dinner. We had turkey tenderloin, mashed potatoes, asparagus, noodles, and homemade bread, all sufficiently doused in butter. Because that's what we do at Grammy and Papa's house. Put butter on everything. Literally. It's very healthy. After dinner, I went to bed. I was tired. Judge me. But don't worry, I didn't sleep very long because there was a tornado warning and the sirens started going off. So, Grammy came in and woke me up, wrapped me in a blanket and put me on a chair in the basement bathroom for a while. We were the safest people in town. Except for Papa, who wouldn't come downstairs and instead insisted on standing with the side door open so he could see what's coming. Needless to say, we survived. 


On Monday morning, Grammy and I went to rehab, aka the gym. I ran on a treadmill alongside the rest of the age 75+ patrons. At one point, I was so noticeably sweaty that an old man brought me a towel. He said he "noticed I was wiping my sweat on my sleeve." I'm gross. After the gym, Grammy and I went to the church to help the church-ladies fold newsletters and stuff envelopes. I got the stuff and lick job. Then we went home, took naps, and ate dinner. Then I had to leave because it was Monday and I'm in grad school. And if you're not familiar with the days in the week, Monday is not actually a weekend day. Meaning I unfortunately had to go back to Columbia and do things.


3) I love The Weepies. If you've never listened to them, you may or may not like them. But you should at least give them a try. Then you can have your own opinion. Fun! They're very calm. And sometimes we all need a little calm in our lives. If I had to pick a picture to represent The Weepies it would be this picture:
Nothing represents "calm" like dolphins in space.
Doesn't that picture just make you feel like everything in life is going to be okay? I used to have a t-shirt with dolphins swimming amongst the stars on the front, but I gave it away. What was I thinking?! Just imagine how calm I could feel if I were wearing it and listening to The Weepies right now. I guess I'll just have to stick with only music. And this claymation music video. I often wish all music videos were claymation. Thank you, The Weepies:
(Also, that is the first video I've ever put on this blog! I know how to use technology!)


4) I love to eat. Tonight I'm going to eat some ice cream. Surprise. And then I'm going to make a peanut butter milkshake with chunks of Reese's eggs in it. You may wonder why I'm eating two kinds of ice cream, and I will tell you. It's because I bought fat-free Breyer's frozen yogurt. You also may think that sounds gross, but I assure you it is delicious. Plus, it means I can eat it it all night long and not feel bad about it. Which I'm planning on doing. Starting in approximately 12 minutes.


5) I love to sleep. I go to bed at 10pm. And I love it. You don't want to be around me when I'm lacking sleep. Ask my siblings, I'm scary. And I frequently burst into tears. No one wants to see that. I've even started taking melatonin so that I sleep better. It may just be mental, but I think it's working.

1 comment:

  1. I still have a CD that you made me, and it makes me smile every time I pull it out because of the decorations. And I always think, "How does she space everything just right so that the whole CD is full, with no white space, but still get all the words in?!" Also, I have never even heard of The Weepies, but I really liked the song in that video. I shall have to check out more of their music - thank you for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete